11.23.2011

Martha Marcy May Marlene mmmmmmm

Had to google the actual title of the movie I saw last week; had been referring to it as a variation of Mary Marley Macy Mae Marceline, etc. Very embarassing.
 
I loved this movie! It was a perfect indie drama with vague plot twists flashbacks so eloquently and subtly weaved into each part. There were also so many hints (and flat out obvious telling) of brutality that I had to wince a lot, but the beauty of the execution of the film kept me from closing my eyes.
I would like to call it a cult film, because it really is a film about a cult.
Its is vague about the origins or purpose of the cult, besides the fact that the leader preaches about embracing death, spooky.
Basically a girl who was poorly rooted goes into this cult -- er "family" -- to seek protection and comfort. She is raped as sort of a initiation into the group, and that sets the creepy tone for the film. The story only dabbles in scenes from her life in the cult and flips back to present day, where she lives with her uptight sister (with whom she is estranged, but living with temporarily after she flees the cult) and her husband. There is a lot of character development twists and topics, its fantastic.
Also, John Hawkes is in my Ugly Actor Crush folder in my head after seeing Winter's Bone. And Elizabeth Olsen is so amazingly beautiful, I love her. She has a darling face and huge eyes and doesn't look like shes emaciated.
It's hard to go into my favorite parts without throwing in way too many spoilers; but go see it for yourself!
 

3 comments:

emily said...

the movie deserves best film of the year by far. i think olsen has a good chance of winning best actress too

J said...

I'm definitely going to have to watch this for myself.
thanks for your comment on my blog. I really like yours, so I'm following you now. Would you follow me back?

xxLiora
http://lioraatsea.blogspot.com/

the golden rose said...

love that nail polish color!
xx sylvie

http:legoldenrose.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

 
 
Copyright © Teen Bones
Blogger Theme by BloggerThemes Design by Diovo.com